Friday, February 5, 2010
Adopting a second cat? Try these tips to increase the odds of peaceful coexistence:
• Look for experience. Adopt a cat that has successfully lived with another cat before.
• Offer space. Isolate your new kitty in a separate room for several days. Once he's had a few days to adjust, switch the cats.
• Serve meals together. During the isolation period, feed both cats at the same time, keeping them separated by the door.
• Start small. After several days of being separated, supervise brief visits with the door ajar.
• Go slowly. Wait until both cats are relatively comfortable before allowing longer one-on-one interactions.